Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gray Armani Jacket: The Collar

Up close and personal with the new collar.

This past weekend I was able to make another baby step towards finishing my birthday jacket:  I made and attached the collar.  The collar required interfacing, which is part of the reason for the delay in its construction.  Up until December, I'd neither purchased nor used interfacing.  Last month I finally picked some up at a fabric sale, knowing that I needed it for this project.  

I hadn't taken note of what kind of interfacing I needed, so I picked up some light-weight sew-in interfacing.  I used it first to make the Christmas purse for my mom, and I had an easy time with it.  This past weekend I finally pulled it out to use with the collar, and I noticed that the pattern instructions actually called for fusible interfacing.  I continued with the sew-in interfacing anyway, but I used care to try to make the interfacing match the fancy fabric as best as I could with a lot of pinning.  I didn't notice any problems, but since I've never used fusible interfacing, I'm not sure if I would even know what to look for.

Next up:  the lining.

The progress of the jacket to date.

2 comments:

  1. Gma would love it that you are using her dress form. It is interesting that you have so much talent in the sewing line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think of her often while sewing. I inherited a lot of her sewing books, threads, and small items as well, all of which have come in handy! But, while I am proud of the skills I've developed over the past year, I'm not so sure I'd describe my interest in sewing as "so much talent"!

    ReplyDelete