Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Handmade Presents

Feeling crafty, I set out to sew presents for my family for Christmas this year.  I had time to make something for my brother and sister-in-law and for my mom, but my dad's handmade present is currently "backordered."


For my brother and sister-in-law I made a Dr. Seuss mesh bag, which was a little bigger than the Burberry mesh bag I made in my sewing class a couple months back.  I envisioned it holding baby things, but when I last saw it, it was sitting under my parents' Christmas tree holding their presents.


For my mom I made the large and small Stash and Dash bags (first seen out of the Burberry fabric - of course!) using scraps left over from the wool that Alex's mom sent me from her Fine Fabrics store for my birthday jacket.  It was my first time using interfacing; the Burberry fabric is so thick that I haven't had the need to use interfacing for any of my previous bags.  I chose sew-in interfacing, remembering that that's what everyone used in the class when they made these bags, and I was pleased with the result.  The pleats at the bottom held together nicely, and the fabric had added (and necessary) structure.

As an aside, I first cut into the birthday wool a month or so ago to begin work on the jacket.  After cutting out one of the pieces, I was startled to see it labeled on the back edge as "Georgio Armani."  Well, paralyzed would be a better description.  I should have known since Alex's mom specializes in quality fabrics.  I felt like I was still too new to sewing to be cutting into designer fabric.  But, since I had begun, I continued.  So far everything's gone smoothly, but I'm only half way through with the construction.  Wish me luck.

For my dad I'm making the same style mesh bag as above for his fishing gear.  I'll post its details once he receives it.

No comments:

Post a Comment