Since the post about sewing my first “Frenchy Bag,” I’ve sewed two more: another small one and, recently, a large one.
I used the lessons that I’d learned in sewing the first bag to make this one easier. I topstitched around the main part of the bag once at the end instead of early in the process and then again (over the previous topstitch line) at the end. I used a lot of pins to keep everything straight. And, at the very end, I sealed up the bag correctly on the first attempt by just topstitching around the very top while pinning the hole left in order to turn the bag right-side-out in the previous step.
Next, I plan to sew a running skirt and a cute winter jacket.
I already attempted to sew a running skirt, but I was only barely successful, which means I now have a running skirt, but I wouldn’t want anyone to look closely at it. It’s both hard to cut and hard to sew a stretch knit fabric. I’m optimistic that I’ll do better on my second try since, in my sewing class on Wednesday night, I brought in a sample of the stretch knit fabric in order to get tips from the instructor on what exactly I needed to do to sew in a straight line. I practiced in the class, and I think I’ve got it down.
As for the winter jacket, it was actually inspired by Alex’s mom. For my birthday she and Bob sent me dozens of sewing patterns, a beautiful grey fabric from Fine Fabrics of Santa Barbara, and three grey buttons. She suggested I use the fabric and buttons to make the jacket from one of the patterns, and that’s just what I intend to do. Now, to find the time…
The “Frenchy Bag” pattern came with both sizes. I started by making the small size since it best used the scraps we had left over from the wedding. I was curious how the large size would compare to the small, so I set out to make myself the large one to carry all of my books and notes for Alex’s and my many-week-long marriage preparation class that we’re taking right now (I have intentions to post about this class, and to follow up on my promise to post about the one-day class we took in the spring).
I used the lessons that I’d learned in sewing the first bag to make this one easier. I topstitched around the main part of the bag once at the end instead of early in the process and then again (over the previous topstitch line) at the end. I used a lot of pins to keep everything straight. And, at the very end, I sealed up the bag correctly on the first attempt by just topstitching around the very top while pinning the hole left in order to turn the bag right-side-out in the previous step.
Next, I plan to sew a running skirt and a cute winter jacket.
I already attempted to sew a running skirt, but I was only barely successful, which means I now have a running skirt, but I wouldn’t want anyone to look closely at it. It’s both hard to cut and hard to sew a stretch knit fabric. I’m optimistic that I’ll do better on my second try since, in my sewing class on Wednesday night, I brought in a sample of the stretch knit fabric in order to get tips from the instructor on what exactly I needed to do to sew in a straight line. I practiced in the class, and I think I’ve got it down.
As for the winter jacket, it was actually inspired by Alex’s mom. For my birthday she and Bob sent me dozens of sewing patterns, a beautiful grey fabric from Fine Fabrics of Santa Barbara, and three grey buttons. She suggested I use the fabric and buttons to make the jacket from one of the patterns, and that’s just what I intend to do. Now, to find the time…

No comments:
Post a Comment