Last night I went to my second sewing class. The first, back in January, simply taught me how to use my machine. The lessons I learned that day helped me through my wedding crafting (which really only amounted to sewing in a straight line). But, now that the wedding crafting is behind me, I wanted to continue to find uses for my sewing machine.
I started a couple weeks ago by taking left over wedding fabric and making a purse from a pattern, using the tidbits I'd learned from Alex's mom and Cid to help me read the pattern instructions (written about in this post).
Then, I noticed that the sewing club at Eddie's Quilting Bee, the store I bought my sewing machine from, was planning to make a sun hat as its August project. I signed up, and at the end of the three hour class, I had a nearly finished hat! Unfortunately, I ran out of thread before I could put the finishing touches on the brim (to add structure and support, making it a bit less floppy) and the base of the cap (to firmly attach the lining to the outer fabric), so it's not yet complete. But, it's done enough to make me happy.
Next month the class is making pillow cases with appliques.

No comments:
Post a Comment