
While I can famously devour a box of fruit in minutes, we had more ambitious plans for a flat of organic strawberries we recently received from Mariquita Farm (a CSA near Watsonville). These strawberries were destined to sate another addiction in the house, our insatiable appetite for PB&J with strawberry preserves.
Growing up, I helped my respective parents can grape jam and tomatoes from the garden, but this was the first time Amy and I would be canning on our own. When taking on a new technique, I always like to check the literature, so the first stop was the library where Amy patiently indulged my urge to check out every book on home canning. Next we assembled the needed equipment and found that seven mason jars fit perfectly in one of the the large pots we received as a wedding gift. Thank you!
The house quickly filled with a wonderful smell as we reduced the strawberries in a sugar concoction containing a touch of lemon juice and peeled apple (for pectin). When the preserves were thick, chunky and had passed various setting tests I had gleaned from the literature, we quickly filled and sterilized the jars. A great project for a rainy day. Hopefully we get some more cold weekends as the jam wont last long in our house.

This is "Strawberry Gold".
ReplyDelete