Pages

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Logo Contest


Back in February the Palo Alto Run Club announced that it was looking for a new logo and asked for its members to submit their best designs.  I woke up one morning near the end of the contest with a vision of a logo in my head, and I became obsessed with getting the design onto paper.  First, I sketched what I could remember from my dream:  a block P with The Dish inside of it, a block A, a block R, and a block C.  Everything was a bit fuzzy, so I went for my morning run to help clear my head.

On the run I decided the P would have a tree in it (originally, I thought palo meant tree in Spanish - it turns out it means pole!); the A would have a view of the area from up on The Dish loop (since alto means high); the R would have a runner in it (run, runner); and the C would have a track in it (simply because of its shape).

When I came home and started putting the design on paper, I realized I also wanted the logo to say "Palo Alto Run Club" since it took me about a month after joining PARC to make the connection that PARC and Palo Alto Run Club were one and the same.  The need for the long name forced the design into a square.  But, I thought the square made a nice, neat logo, so there it was.

I'm excited to say that my design made it into the top five.  The club is voting on them now, so I'll know in a few days whether or not what you see at the top of this post (or something like it) will become the new PARC logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment