The food dehydrator in action.
A while ago I was telling my co-workers about how surprisingly good dehydrated watermelon is. You'd think there wouldn't be anything left if you pulled the water out of a watermelon, right? But, something wonderful is left: a delightfully chewy watermelon-flavored candy that looks a bit like a pink Doritos. I sang its praises well enough that my co-workers asked if I'd make some the next time I had to bring in lab snacks. I said yes, and it just so happens that my turn to bring in lab snacks is this coming Tuesday.
I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a watermelon, but on a recent trip to a giant warehouse chain, I found a whole box of them. I picked a heavy one, testing it for a nice hollow sound. I brought it home and promptly forgot about it for a week.
Finally, this past week I pulled out the dehydrator and cut into the watermelon. It wasn't the best looking watermelon on the inside. I'm not sure if it was the week between its purchase and its use or if I just chose a dud from the beginning. Fortunately, I was able to salvage at least three-quarters of the giant melon for the dehydrator.
Twenty hours later, and I have dried watermelon candy in hand. I hope my co-workers are as taken by it as I am. But, if not, more for me!

I love the pink Doritos! They are so good. I am completely inspired to try this myself. You rock Amy!
ReplyDelete