Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

A Colorful "Mystery Box"

A counter full of vegetables.

A few weeks ago, one of my friends sent an email with a link to a local farm's winter CSA "mystery box."  It was a one-time, pay-when-you-pick-up sort of thing, and I was curious.  I'd always wanted to try a CSA, but I'd never done the research into local farms or felt that I could take advantage of a weekly box by myself.  This opportunity seemed to be a great way to try out the system (plus, I now have an Alex around to eat up the excess).

I got an email yesterday with and address and a time.  I biked home a bit early from work (but after giving a seminar today and spending all week in a dark room trying to record from worm neurons, I figured I deserved it!), jumped into my car, followed the directions to the address, and found myself in front of a regular old house.  Except, this house's driveway was filled with trash-bag sized bags brimming with vegetables, one of which was destined for my kitchen.

I now have a counter full of vegetables, and I can't wait for a weekend filled with cooking, friends, and good food.  I'll share any winning recipes that we try.

No comments:

Post a Comment