Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Scrap Boxes as Table Numbers



The evolution of the table numbers for our wedding was quite gradual. My mom wanted something cute and themed like flower names or places that Alex and I had been together. I needed something with order that would make sense to our guests. While I liked the idea of having tables named rose or lily or Montana or Cape Town, I needed to know that our guests would be able to find them without first searching through every table. Many months and many discussions followed.

Then gold (well, wedding gold, which is a big deal if you are planning a wedding). My neighbor handed me a Martha Stewart article on making scrap boxes, and the initial idea was planted. Slowly, it dawned on me that if I numbered them, then I could use them to both provide a system to order our tables and give our guests a little bit of insight into Alex's and my history.

I set out to complete the daunting task of making a scrap box for every table pretty late in the wedding game. Alex warned me about taking on too much, but I was too excited with the idea to back down. And, I'm glad that I didn't. It meant something to me to see them displayed around on all of the tables during the wedding.

Each scrap box contained a picture of us as its background or had some other background that was relevant to our relationship. Each also contained some ticket stubs or souvenirs that we'd collected over the years. Finally, each was backed with the date and story about the event surrounding the items in the scrap box so that our guests could learn a little about our history together.

Over the next few months, I'm going to try to get all of the photos and descriptions from each of the scrap boxes up on this blog, starting with the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment